Level Best Books
Call for Submissions for 2015
Who’s won the Derringer, Macavity, Anthony, Agatha, Blanchard and Robert L. Fish Awards?
Level Best Short Story Authors, that’s who!
Level Best Books is an independent publishing cooperative devoted to publishing literature we enjoy and want to share with other readers. The cooperative has published twelve anthologies in the Best New England Crime Stories series, including Stone Cold (2013) and Rogue Wave (2014). The collection is published each fall and introduced at the New England mystery conference Crime Bake. Authors whose work is selected receive $25 and one free copy of the anthology.
Starting January 1, 2015 we will be accepting submissions for our thirteenth anthology.
- We seek original crime stories by New England writers in the following genres: mystery, thriller, suspense, caper, and horror. (No torture/killing of children or animals.)
- Stories may be of any length up to an absolute maximum of 5,000 words.
- Stories may not have been previously published anywhere, including on the web via an e-zine or your own website.
- The Level Best editors will consider up to two manuscripts from the same author in the same submission year.
- Stories submitted once previously, and not published in the interim, are welcome, especially those that have been revised.
- New England writers are residents of the six New England states: Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut and Rhode Island. If you have any questions about whether you qualify, please query before submitting, email@example.com
How to submit
- Each story should be typed in 12 pt, double-spaced with pages numbered.
- In the upper right-hand corner of the first page, please include your name and address, phone number, e-mail address, and word count.
- Please submit four disposable hard copies and four copies of a brief cover letter describing your publishing experience. We do not accept electronic submissions.
- Do not send a SASE. Acceptances and rejections will be sent via e-mail.
- Level Best Books will accept submissions January 1 to April 30, 2015. Submissions must be postmarked no later than April 30.
Mail submissions to:
Level Best Books
411A Highland Avenue
Somerville, MA 02144
If eligible, you may submit your story for consideration for both the Level Best Books anthology and the Al Blanchard Award. For information about how to submit for the Al Blanchard Award see http://www.crimebake.org/Al.htm
PLEASE NOTE: Level Best Books is not accepting book-length submissions at this time.